Dogs and humans agree: When the temperature rises, nothing is as refreshing as a bowl of ice. The only problem? With the development of dog food, ice is not the best choice. Although it tastes good, dogs don't need sugar. Fortunately, we offer you a solution: homemade dog ice cream!
Thes following summer recipes are healthy, tasty and 100% safe dogs for your best friend.
1. Cantaloupe Dog Ice Cream
This two-ingredient recipe uses just cantaloupe and yogurt, but you can substitute any melon and any milk-type product your dog likes.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 28 minutes
- Yield: 4 cup 2x
- 4 cup (600 g) frozen ripe cantaloupe
- 4 tbsp unsweetened yogurt
- Food processor or blender
- Make sure you have space for your cantaloupe in the freezer.
- Scrub the outside of the cantaloupe thoroughly.
- Slice the melon in half and remove seeds.
- Slice each half into quarters and remove skin, then dice the fruit into bite-sized chunks.
- Place cut melon in the freezer. The more space around your melon chunks, the faster they will freeze, so if you’re in a rush, place pieces on a baking sheet to speed things up.
- When completely frozen (2-4 hours or overnight), place about 2 cups (300g) of melon pieces into the food processor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt.
- Blend until combined, adding a little cool water if needed to blend to your preferred consistency.
Cantaloupe is also among the most famous summer treats, as it is full of water and healthy nutrients. You can give it raw to your beagle, just remove the seeds, ripe it and cut it into small slices and enjoy. It is a great natural source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, niacin, folate, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.
2. Easy Watermelon Ice Cream for Dogs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 1 1/2 cups frozen watermelon
- 1/4 cup yogurt (substitute with coconut milk or coconut yogurt for lactose sensitivities)
- Food processor
- Wash melon before cutting.
- Dice a few cups of watermelon, removing seeds as you go.
- Place in freezer for 4 hours (or overnight if you prefer).
- Place 1 1/2 cups of frozen melon in the food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup of yogurt.
- Blitz in food processor, adding more fruit or yogurt to adjust flavor and texture.
- Serve immediately.
3. Berry Low-Fat Dog Sorbet
Prep time: 5 hours
- 1 cup (8oz/120g) plain yogurt
- 10 strawberries , diced
- 20 blueberries
In your dog treat mold or ice cube tray scatter in your strawberries and blueberries.
Spoon over the yogurt. Fill evenly and smooth the top.
Tap on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles and the mixture is evenly distributed.
Freeze for a minimum of 5 hours or overnight.
To remove tap on the counter to loosen then turn out. If you have any trouble, quickly run the mold under warm water to help the treats release then turn out.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
4. Frozen Dog Bone Treats with Yogurt, Peanut Butter, and Fruit
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
Supplies and ingredients
- Baking mold or ice cube trays.
- 2-cup glass measuring cup or similar
- Blender or food processor
- Unsweetened frozen blueberries
- Unsweetened frozen strawberries
- Plain yogurt (we used non-fat)
- Peanut butter (check ingredients on the label. Look for no sugar and definitely no xylitol, an artificial sweetener that’s poisonous for dogs).
Before you start:
- Measure the depth of the wells in your mold if you want to make multiple flavors at one go. Measuring will also help reduce extra filling.
- Clear some flat space in your freezer for your pupsicles to set up in peace.
- Use a baking sheet or similar under your silicone mold, because you will have a devil of a time moving it when full without some form of support.
Dog Treats. (n.d.). Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com
Dog treats. (n.d.). Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.rover.com
SHARE THIS BLOG
READ MORE ABOUT DOGS
30 Breeds Of Dogs That Can Live In Apartments
Not everyone has the luxury of living in a large home with a yard, or better yet, a ranch or farm. Many of us live in apartments in the cities. So what does it mean for a dog-loving apartment dweller?
#10 Best Off-Leash Dog Parks in the U.S.
We love our dogs and play with them constantly, but nothing beats socializing with “their own kind”. Dogs are social creatures that thrive on interaction with their canine companions. A dog park is a great place for dogs to run off leash and socialize with other dogs.
How to Get More Real Instagram Followers & More Likes | Dog Influencer
Instagram has a broad field of different concepts to be famous for. In order to get more real Instagram followers for your dog, it is important to know how to attract followers. How to get more followers and how to get more likes on your Instagram account. Becoming a dog influencer is not that hard, the key to grow: consistency.
Best 8 Reasons Why Your Dog Need Dog Clothes
This is a puzzling question to many people, most of who laugh at the idea of dressing up a dog. Some dog owners are also skeptical about wearing clothing on their dogs. However, a few of them, have noticed the violent shiver that courses through the bodies of their canine friends during winter, but don’t know what to do about it. If you belong to this category of dog owners, there is good news: it is okay for your pet to wear dog coats.
Ugly Truth About Wrong Backyard Dog Breeders
All kinds of races and crosses, one even cuter than the other. What should you pay attention to when buy a puppy? To delve into this, you can avoid buying a puppy from a wrong puppy farm. A number of things must be in order at all times. With good preparation you prevent problems and hasty decisions. Below the story behind the wrong puppy breeding farms and how much money they make with it.
8 Reasons Why A Dog Makes Your Life More Awesome
Dog owners are happier, healthier, more social and fitter, and this has been scientifically proven several times. As a puppy lover, there is no doubt that having a dog brings many benefits to my life. I mean, how can you not wake up happy with a smiling face and wagging tail?